Why Do My Eyes Look Red
Redness in the eyes is the result of swelling or dilation of the blood vessels on the surface of the eye.
Casuses Of Red Eyes
- blepharitis: inflammation of the eyelid
- conjunctivitis: allergic, bacterial, or viral
- contact lens related problems
- episcleritis: inflammation of the episclera
- eye strain
- keratitis: inflammation of the cornea
- scleritis: inflammation of the white portion of the eye
- toxic: some eye drops can cause irritation
- uveitis: inflammatory condition within the eye
Since red eye symptoms overlap with more serious infections and inflammatory conditions that can seriously affect vision an examination with your eye doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment is recommended. If your eyes have been persistently red or the redness is accompanied by decreased vision, pain, or light sensitivity then you should be seen as soon as possible.
Learn more and schedule an appointment today. Gray Family Vision has two greater Portland Maine locations to serve you in Gray and Windham.